ENTER THE SEASON PREPARED
- Know all evacuation routes if you live close to the coast.
- Make sure your home meets building codes for withstanding hurricanes, and they have storm shutters.
- Always have plenty of non-perishable foods.
- Hurricane winds can cause trees and branches to fall, so before hurricane season trim or remove damaged trees and limbs to keep you and your property safe.
Download Hurricane Chart
CHECK INSURANCE COVERAGE
- Make plans to secure your property. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection for windows. A second option is to board up windows with marine plywood-cut to fit and ready to install. Tape does not prevent windows from breaking.
- Install straps or additional clips to securely fasten your roof to the frame structure. This will reduce roof damage.
- Trim trees and shrubs around your home to minimize the risk of broken branches and debris.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts to prevent misdirected flooding.
- Determine how and where to secure your boat. Fully fuel your vehicles.
BACK UP YOUR ELECTRONICS
- Put together a disaster supply kit, including a flashlight, batteries, cash, first aid supplies, and copies of your critical information if you need to evacuate
MAKE COPIES OF IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS